Sunday, August 17, 2008

California Highlights

OK, we all know that the most significant thing that happened while we were in California was the birth of our precious little Bree. Getting her home and enjoying her first days with her family was just a privilege we were blessed to be part of. So let's just peek at those pictures first.



Not that we can top those.
We did spend a couple of weeks WAITING for baby Bree to be born, however, and here are a few moments we captured on film BEFORE the blessed event:
(Remember you can click on any picture to see a larger view.)

Above: Danny joined us on a tour of the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles. Nothing too amazing pictured here EXCEPT for the fact that a few minutes after this photograph was taken there was a bona fide EARTHQUAKE which we all felt. It was sort of like that sensation you get on an elevator as it is adjusting to a new floor level. We all looked at each other like, "Did you feel that?" Becca, who was about a week before her due date, thought she was just a little woozy from being hungry....but then realized everyone had the same dazed look. The museum was evacuated, and thus ended our tour. Luckily, we had just ordered our museum cafeteria food, and were able to enjoy a picnic outside on the museum grounds. The museum handed out free passes for Becca to bring her family on another day....but I think she'll be busy for a while. Matt, on the swaying 11th floor of his office building in nearby Glenndale, felt the quake more significantly, but all was well. Never a dull moment!
Above: Robert and Seth are quite the dynamic duo. Both are great swimmers, and also very creative in the art department. They are good buddies. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of Megan in her water wings as she flitted about the pool like a pro. She knows no fear!
Angie and Mike came for a few days, and we went to Scooter's Jungle, which is an indoor play arena full of huge inflatable slides, climbing gyms, bouncy ball rooms, game tables, etc. All the kids had a great time, especially Mike. Too bad I didn't have my camera. You'll just have to trust me on that one.

Above is a picture of what happens if Grandma tries to sleep in. Here I am on my sleep couch mattress, having been joined by the alert cherubs who awaken at 7 AM every day like clockwork. Below is a picture of Grandpa whose services are being marshalled by Megan to care for her two favorite dolls. Looks like he's getting good practice for taking care of Bree.
To fully appreciate the action below, you must realize that at this point Becca is four days overdue, and we are trying ANYTHING to keep the kids occupied and Becca from losing her mind. Seth, Steven, Robert, and Dan bowled. Becca watched. I took over with Megan who was a pretty good sport considering she was too young to be allowed to bowl. You had to be at least four years old to play. What a dumb rule! She really wanted one of those pink balls.

A few hours later, Robert lost his front tooth. Robert came down the steps to tell Grandma and Grandpa the news around midnight. (We had been up late watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.) The tooth fairy arrived, and Becca went into labor. Friday night was eventful! Rebecca had her own Olympic event: the baby was born on Saturday afternoon.
The following Wednesday was Robert's first day of first grade. Here he is after class, with his nametag and hand-colored visor. He triumphantly told me, "There was nothing scary the whole day!" This tree is a favorite climbing spot on the way home from school. You can see the lovely California countryside--all irrigated by man-made means, of course.
Words can't exress the love we have for this dear family. Becca and Matt are patient, loving parents. The children are active, bright, and sweet. There are moments of craziness, of course, but a wonderful spirit of love. Scripture reading every night is a habit. Even Megan can answer questions. When Matt asked, "Does anyone remember who we read about last night?" she answered, "Ammon!" Dan and I feel so grateful and blessed.--Jill
P.S. Here's a little clip I caught of Megan reading a storybook to herself. It's about fire trucks. Whenever she sees a dalmation on the page, she kisses it.



P.P.S. There was about a week when I was separated from my camera. So I have no pictures, but fond memories of the following: Bouncing back and forth a bit between Becca's house and Newport Beach....where we enjoyed visiting with BJ and Blake, with Curt and Cathy and family, and with Tim and Annie and family. (Baby Ethan is 11 months old! Tim is now captain of the nation's busiest fire station!) It was fun for Steven to be with his cousins Jennifer and Michael at the beach. Not only did Danny come down for almost a week, we also had Angie and Mike for a long weekend. If you peek at Angie's blog you'll see a picture or two. One evening Curt and Cathy brought out their chocolate fountain with stuff to dip--like fruit and pretzels and marshmallows. It was so fun, and I just kept thinking how much David would have enjoyed it, the way he loved chocolate. Another great event was touring the house next door to BJ's as its realtor was having an open house. It is newly built, gorgeous, and only $3,595,000! We were tempted. Wouldn't it be fun to live on Lido next to Grandma BJ? Family reunions would be a breeze! Alas, the budget won't quite allow it. At Becca's we enjoyed a visit from Gabrielle on our last night in CA. At that point my camera was maxed out on memory, but Becca got a picture of her....too bad I don't have it right now to post. Gabrielle is sweet and beautiful as ever, and we appreciated her visit. In all, it was a wonderful trip, and we are so grateful to have seen so many loved ones in such a short time.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Man, I love those kids! It definitely is too bad that we don't have documented proof of Mike playing at Scooters Jungle :). I can't believe Robert is loosing teeth AND climbing trees! And, I love that little Meggie reading her story. She's just so sweet :)

Angela and Mike said...

Wow mom, what a great post. I loved every bit of it. The kids are so good at holding the baby. I especially love Robert's expression when holding Bree. I can't believe he lost his tooth! Wow, what an eventful couple of weeks you have. The picture of you with all the kids laying next to you in pillows is hysterical. Looks like you guys had a blast.

GOod to know that Megan is still telling people about the blood on her bear. haha. Bree is beautiful! We love that Cardons and we love YOU MOM. You were SUCH a big help. A lifesaver :)

GordonandChrissy said...

I just got to your blog from Becca's and you have some GREAT pictures of the cute little Bree. I especially love the pictures at the hospital with her big brothers and sister holding her. So sweet. :) It was great to meet you all while you were here, I know Becca had a great time with all of you!

Chrissy and Gordon

Jill said...

Chrissy and Gordon, you are some of my favorite Californians! Thank you so much for all the TLC you gave my family! You are the best friends ever!

janner said...

What a wonderful event to have documented in full color and live action sequences! We are so glad that Bree could be welcomed to the world with so many loving people around her! We cannot believe how fast all the Cardon kids are growing up--hearing Meggie read and kiss the Dalmations was our favorite though! I know she and Holly are kindred spirits! Love to everyone!

becca said...

Did we really do all THAT while you were here? It really is staggering to go from earthquake to bowling to tooth fairies to labor to baby to school starting . . .
I suppose with 4 kids, this is the pace life will take from now on.

Thanks for EVERYTHING. I don't think Bree could have come without you. And I'm really glad she's here!