Tuesday, September 16, 2008

How Do You Spell S-M-U-G?

I called my sister Jan tonight on my cell phone.

"Jan," I said, "I just called to gloat."
"OK," she replied reasonably.
"I am right now in my car, on my way home from--get this--my LAST Back to School Night, after twenty-six straight years of Back to School Nights. Twenty-seven if you count Danny's preschool orientation." I let it sink in.
"Wow." She meant it.

This year, Dan and I both went. Together. I remember those years of divide and conquer, when somebody went, and somebody stayed home with the kids....then the later years of divide and conquer, when we both went but divided into different kids' classrooms. Then the even later years of divide and conquer, when one of us went to one school, and the other went to another school. In the peak years, Back to School Nights spanned across elementary, middle, and high schools, sometimes with multiple children in one school. It was a tactical nightmare which could spread over days or weeks.

There were papers and more papers, syllabuses (syllabi? silly busses?), teachers' names and contact information (phone numbers in olden days, email addresses in recent ones), rules, requirements, expectations, presentations, grading policies, and rubrics (whatever those are). There were nervous teachers trying to impress parents, and nervous parents trying to impress teachers. Teacher conferences to sign up for.

In elementary school, there were often booklets prepared by the children, strategically placed on each desk, entitled something like, "All About Me." I remember the year one child-- Joey, I think--mentioned television on every page of his "All About Me" book. What do I like to do most? Watch TV. What is my favorite thing to do with my family? Watch TV. I love my mother because...she watches TV with me. Yes, that was an impressive start to the year.

Sometimes we would get the same teacher one of our other children had before. Then it was like a reunion as we gave progress reports on the older child. ("Actually Rebecca just got married. Yes, really.") Sometimes we got the dreaded teacher. We would listen politely, see right through that sinister smile, and pray our child would survive. Sometimes we got the favorite teacher. We would glory in our good fortune and bask in its warmth. One year we were lucky enough to get the third grade teacher who always read The Chronicles of Narnia to the class every day after lunch, and she used neat voices.

We survived the years of video presentations in the cafeteria, which introduced parents to every single member of the faculty and staff, down to the last janitor. We survived talks by local school board members wanting to get re-elected, and explanations of why we should vote yes on the school bond.

We sighed as overhead projectors were replaced by power point, but were still the same thing.

We squeezed ourselves into little chairs and short desks, and filled out 3x5 cards with life altering information. "Write your name, your child's name, your phone number, and something you think I should know about your child," the teacher would say.

We were dazed by the seven periods of a high school day, where we had no idea how our kids could cope with so many expectations, read so many books, learn to use hi-tech labs, speak foreign languages, do science fair projects, sing on stage in gowns and tuxedos, and prepare for Advanced Placement tests. We held maps of the school in our sweaty hands, and felt like freshmen.

There were grand moments, like the time the chemistry teacher set the table top on fire.

But no more. As tonight's activities drew to a close, as Dan and I hurried back to the stairs (again) to get to Steven's seventh period class on time, I said to him, "This is it. This is our last classroom, at our last Back to School Night." We both felt a twinge. It was a genuine twinge. It was a short twinge.

Then we high-fived.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much to look forward to! I love that Joey wrote how much he loves TV! Nathan wrote every first grade paper about Super Mario Brothers. His teacher even asked me to help him "get more creative!"

Hannah said...

What is REALLY impressive to me is that 26 years of back to school nights actually equals approximately 78 actual back to school nights...holy cow!

I never thought about how funny it must be to see parents trying to sit at a 2nd grader's desk...I remember being so excited for you to get to read our, "About me" books or whatever they were.

This is seriously awesome and made me laugh laugh laugh. You have right to be smug!!

Oh yeah, the correct term is definitely, "silly busses."

janner said...

Please remember to include this in your book of memoirs whenever you write one. This is so well written and strikes a chord in every parent's heart! You captured the experience so well and with such great humor! I am so privileged to have been the recipient of the now famous phonecall! It did take a minute to sink in--being that we have been going to back-to-school nights for the past two weeks and still have two more to go since the elementary school decided to hold K-2 on on week and 3-5 on the next! You should be expecting a similar phone call from me in Fall of 2019! Congratulations!

Angela and Mike said...

High five is definitely the appropriate reaction! haha. and yes...I think they are "silly busses" haha. Wow, I can't believe this is your last one. How did you possibly make it through 27 years of that? I have no idea. I love thinking of teachers trying to impress parents and parents trying to impress teachers.

I especially love that all of Joey's favorite things revolved around the TV. Poor neglected child.

Congrats mom and dad...you were both my BEST teachers out of all of my years in school. Seriously, I think I learned my subjects from you at the kitchen table more than I did in the classroom.

Jan, you can make it to 2019!

Sharon said...

Jill, I love what you wrote. I can totally relate, although I did not go to 27 years of back to school nights. I think "silly buses" is definitely the correct terminology, especially having just attended spring term. Your comment on Angela's blog about us doing synchronized swimming if our house flooded made me laugh and laugh. It was just what I needed. Thanks for being so creative!

becca said...

I don't even know what to comment; I loved this so much. I think I'll print it and add it to the family book. I'll have to talk to you in person about this -- it's just too great.