
July 2, 1952 was a wonderful day in the Farrell family. Daniel Whitney Farrell was welcomed by his parents, David and BJ Farrell, and by older siblings Riley, Richard and Suzi. Because of his placement as fourth child in a family of six children (Chris and Curt came after), Dan has always shared a special connection with his daughter Angela, who was our fourth child of six.
Dan was a beautiful baby, and a handsome little boy. Apparently, he was full of mischief, though I find this hard to believe. The family insists that at one point the mailman threatened to stop delivering mail because Daniel would hide and squirt him with the garden hose.
Dan and Jill met during Jill's freshman year at BYU. He was just plain cute. Here is Jill with Dan and with her roommate Holly. Dan and Jill were going out to a dance, and Holly was waiting for her date. Dan does not seem to mind the attention.
Dan is a wonderful father and husband. He is consistently kind, even tempered, and loyal to his family. He is an example of strength and patience. He is smart, interesting, scientific, and musical. He is a great teacher and public speaker. He can swim, ski, water ski, play tennis...and stays in great shape by working out on a regular basis. He is strong in his testimony of the gospel, and can tell us the reference for any scripture we are trying to find.
Everybody loves Dan. But especially I do.
Happy Birthday to my sweetheart and eternal companion!
5 comments:
Happy birthday dad. Man, you were one cute little kid. I kinda think your baby picture with grandpa holding you looks a little like Colton. Genetics are a funny thing. Hope you have a fantastic birthday full of fireworks, eating, presents and fun! You are the best and don't look at day over 40. I hope Mike looks as good as you at 57!
I would say 'Happy Birthday dad" but Angela already said it that way. So to be original I will rearrange the words and add an exclamation point to say; 'Dad, Happy Birthday!" Of course I already told you that a few times in person, but in our world verbal communication means nothing if it isn't also backed up in writ. Now I have covered all my bases.
It's hard to think of you as a kid in appearance, but not really in personality. You've always been a 'fun' dad! I hope to be more like you someday. In fact, tomorrow I plan to stake out behind the apple tree with a hose and douse the mailman if he doesn't finally bring Steven's AP scores. Thanks for the great idea, dad!
I'm gonna comment before my other siblings use up the other ways to say the phrase. Here goes: "Happy birthday, Father." Seriously, you are the best dad ever!
Oh and Joey, I think that's a really good idea.
Dad! I don't want to wreck a surprise, but could you maybe be getting fireworks for your birthday?
Yes, Happy Birthday! I am excited that you get your very own blog post. I like how Mom described you -- scientific and musical and all the other great attributes you have. You really can do ANYTHING. I have an amazing Father. I love you tons!
Happy Birthday Dan! I know we sang to you on the 4th, but I didn't get a chance to personally wish you a great year ahead! You really are amazing, and we are so glad you are part of our family! You are a super example to us all and we all look up to you, depending on your steady disposition and that keen intellect. We are also grateful for your culinary expertise every holiday--Gordon says there is no way to compete with your turkey skills, and he could never pull off a family barbecue event without your help! We also appreciate you sharing your fireworks year after year. What a guy. Happy Birthday!
P.S. You really were a cute baby!
Post a Comment