Friday, May 22, 2009

Reality Check

Heidi points to her signature from her first Relay for Life when she was 4!

Having participated in Relay for Life this past weekend with the kids, my mind is naturally a little preoccupied with the touching sights and stories that we experienced with fellow community members surviving or dealing with cancer in their lives. It is amazing to me how easy it is to push all of the emotion and memories of the past to the furthermost corners of my mind and just struggle to deal with present everyday life, often forgetting how blessed we are to have the health and strength that allow us to be so busy!


We have some friends right now who are coping with incredible adversity with the health of their children. They have six kids ages 4 to 17, and in the past 2 years, three of them have been diagnosed with serious illness. Their 5 yr. old has a rare but treatable liver disease, their 8 yr. old has diabetes, and their 12 yr. old daughter (a friend of Heidi's) was diagnosed with bone cancer last summer while we were rehearsing for Pirates of Penzance. These are marvelous people with unbelievable faith and courage. Even in the midst of their trials, they are the first people to offer to help others. If there was ever anyone to epitomize the concept of staying cheerful through adversity, this family would be it.

I read this on Mary's blog last night and just couldn't believe it. She was describing a visit to UVA last week for her daughter's radiation treatment. She had to bring along her son with diabetes as his sugar was all out of whack that morning, but then when they got to the hospital he started throwing up and collapsed in the hallway, which got a lot of attention! I share it not to depress anyone, just as a reality check for ALL of us who perceive that we have had a hard day...it makes you just want to enjoy the glorious sunshine and the flowers and trees, hug your children, say a prayer of thanksgiving for all the blessings that we have, and maybe a prayer of strength for this dear family who is trying to cope with so much right now. Also, please know that Reagan is really doing well. This radiation is the last part of her treatment and her prognosis is very good:

We looked like a sad crew as we left the hospital! A bald girl trying to protect her picc line while walking with a walker, a greenish diabetic boy in a wheelchair holding a bucket, a four-year-old whining about being hungry and a frazzled Mom.....did I mention it was pouring down rain? O.K. God, I remember thinking, what is up with this? I know I will look back one day and wonder how we survived what seems like constant chaos. I told the nurses, I wake up in the morning, with no real expectation anymore that anything will go as planned! Sometimes, I feel like I'm in medical crisis purgatory!It really truly does feel sometimes as if every waking moment is some kind of test of patience and endurance, but by the grace of God we somehow muddle through it all.

Again, these are real people that we know, not one of those forwarded stories on the internet. On a more cheerful note, her day did get better. They spent the rest of it getting ready to host a beautiful prom dinner for her 17 yr. old son and his friends and had a wonderful time. Like I said these people are amazing.

Just wanted to share this story, because it really made me think, and remember. I am so grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord that allowed our story to have such a happy ending!

Looking back...




How thankful we are for our sweet Heidi! Life IS BEAUTIFUL!


6 comments:

Hannah said...

Life is beautiful and Heidi is beautiful. Jan, thank you for this reality check. I know I cannot even begin to fathom the physical and emotional exhaustion you and your friend has experienced. Thank you for your examples of faith and reminding us how grateful we should be for our health. I think I'll go enjoy that sunshine now.

Angela and Mike said...

I remember Heidi's leukemia very clearly in my mind. How crazy it is to look back years and years later. I like the way your friend expressed that every morning she has no expectation that anyone will be normal. haha, I think that is how life has been for you too Jan :) We are so blessed to have a healthy, beautiful Heidi. She has always been my little buddy and I love her so much!

Jan, you and Gordon are amazing. You were such examples to me during Heidi's illness as you always were able to find the joy in humor even in darkest moments.

Jill said...

Thank you for sharing your friends' story. They sound absolutely amazing. But then, we think you are, too. You have given me a new perspective on my day, and on my responsibilities. And on enjoying every moment. And on remembering to say thank you in my prayers,as well as remembering those who need special help.

Jill said...

Also, we love our Heidi. Thank you for the beautiful pictures.

becca said...

Your friend HOSTED her son's prom dinner? Unbelievable!

Tomorrow, my friend is running a marathon here in LA with the Team-In-Training program for LLS. Go, Torie! She's running because we have a little buddy who is fighting cancer right now. I think of Heidi's and your story all the time -- her health is such a miracle! We could use a few more miracles for our little friend, Tyler.

janner said...

We'll add him to our list of kids to pray for! Hope things get better for him. Thanks Bec!