Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Penumbric Overlap

During dinner tonight, as Steven pressed Dan about why shadows seem to flow into each other, the following statement was issued: "I think it's just the overlap of the penumbras."
(Steven had been tracking this phenomenon on graph paper throughout the afternoon, stepping in and out of the front door, and taking pictures. Just curious. Not a school assignment or anything.)

Frankly, I don't remember which one of them said it first, but the other knew just what it meant. There were several references to penumbric overlap before the chicken casserole had even cooled enough to eat.

OH, how I wish I had WITNESSES!
Penumbric Overlap: Wouldn't that make a great name for a rock band?

9 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

what in the HECK is a penumbric overlap?!!! Mom. I wish I was there to witness it. I should appreciate the pure genius of my family, however, I have a feeling I would've been rolling my eyes and begging us to just eat the casserole. haha. Sometimes my mind doesn't like to think :)

janner said...

Wow. You are so lucky to have such stimulating conversations to enlighten your evening meal! I can imagine the whole scenario. As we grabbed some dinner on the run between play practice, soccer games, and mutual last night, I tried to order Arby's roast beef sandwiches by talking into a trashcan instead of the microphone box thing in the drivethru. That's the level we are functioning at. Perhaps the penumbric overlap altered my visual perception of the ordering apparatus. Yes, that must be it. Thanks, Steven and Dan!

janner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
janner said...

OK everyone. The deleted comment is mine--somehow I typed the word wrong and then when I retyped it, my comment appeared twice. I think the word was "mentally impaired"...

Jill said...

Jan, the penumbric overlap has certainly not impaired your sense of humor, which, comfortingly, is, I believe, a sign of intelligence. So is my profuse use of commas.

Steven said...

In my defense, it actually DOES relate to a school project.

Joseph said...

I have seriously always wondered about this. I gave it some considerable thought yesterday, and even did several internet searches, but it was to no avail. I'm relieved that Dad, and my more capable sibling could figure this out.

Shadow sharpness and penumbric overlap would have been a sweet science fair project. Why couldn't I think of that ... 5 years ago!

Hannah said...

There are so many things to be laughing about with this story and its comments. I love envisioning what it would have been like with all of us home--Angie would have rolled her eyes, and Joey would have jumped right into the conversation. If I had been there, I would have given a very intelligent, "huh?" when/if Steven posed the question to me. I don't think I've ever noticed the penumbra overlap phenomenon or its resultant effect. But I'm sure Steven would have persisted in trying to get me up to speed, ("See how they flow together there?") so that he could then pose the more intelligent question. I'm so glad we have brilliance in our family. If no one out there asked these questions, we'd still be living in caves.

Jan, thank you for trying to get a trash can to take your order. It makes me feel better for the inevitable day(s) when I do that myself!

becca said...

Give that boy a scholarship! Oh, good, he already got one. Well, send him off to college, then!