Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Birthday, Hannah!


(Do we see in the above pictures a hint of the sparkling personality which was about to change our lives forever?)

We wish our lovely Hannah a very happy birthday. Twenty-seven years ago, Hannah was born on Mother's Day. No Mother's Day gift could ever compare to that one! From day one, she added an element of spark and excitement to our lives that we have marveled at ever since.

Hannah was always one to stand out in a crowd. I bought these little white smocked Easter dresses for the girls one year, and wanted to get them matching white hats. Hannah insisted on getting a yellow one. Here they are pictured with their lovely Aunt Jan on Easter Sunday 1987.

Hannah made the most of every occasion. Standing on our decorated front porch, she is a veritable advertisement for Fourth-of-July spirit here in her red, white, and blue.


What can I say? Play usually involved costumes. Don't know where she found them, or exactly what she was thinking, but Hannah managed to pull together some astounding combinations, coupled with intriguing plot, superb acting, and willing sibling actors. Looks like this dramatic scenario ended violently. Sorry, Ang!


One can only guess what is going on in Hannah's amazing mind in the above scenes. Maybe she has some explanation that we can only dream of.


This "grandma's basement production" of Peter Pan took hours of creative play. Somehow Hannah always managed to rally the troops and get them to do whatever she wanted. Looks like Angela is Pan, Hannah is Wendy (and the crocodile), Tina is Tiger Lily, Becca is Smee, and Carl is Captain Hook. A better cast cannot be found on Broadway, I am sure.

Above: at the "Bathing Beauty Fashion Show" held at Grandma and Grandpa Farrell's house in Newport Beach.

Thanks, Hannah, for providing so much delight, entertainment, and LOVE through all these years. We love you! Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Awesome awesome new pics mom! Hannah, you totally were an essential part of the Farrell family. Without you, we all would've been boring, quiet and perfectly behaved children :) haha, but thanks to you we had a blast imagining, laughing, and just being goofy. I see a hint of Erica in those faces :) (oh, and I recently have thought that Colton kinda looks like you...in that baby pictures. Do you see it?)

Happy birthday! We love you!

janner said...

I have many many images of Hannah in my memory as she was growing up, and most of them involve something hilarious. Having been audience to quite a few of those basement productions, I can attest to the fact that they were indeed spectacular. It is safe to say that wherever Hannah was nobody was every bored. Now it is fun to watch as she cultivates her own two little creative geniuses! We all love you Hannah Banana! Happy Birthday!

becca said...

I remember the yellow Easter bonnet! Ironically, I do not remember being Smee in Peter Pan. All of the pictures in this post LOOK like holidays, though I see only Easter and the Fourth of July represented. Thanks to Hannah, celebrations were ALL THE TIME (not just holidays).

And I totally remember that bathing beauty fashion show, because I'm pretty sure I was in college. But even then, Hannah could STILL rally her siblings into a production!

Hannah, happy birthday, and thanks for all the fun!