This famous quote from Heidi, age 3, is a family favorite. The "cake with fire" is, of course, birthday cake with candles and the "presents," well, that is self-explanatory. Heidi is turning 12 today, which is both exciting and miraculous! If only we had known on that birthday long ago that Heidi would grow into such a healthy, sweet, and lovely young lady, we would have celebrated with flaming cakes and presents way more often than once a year! Here are some pictures from Heidi's birthday party last week.
We had a formal tea party at a quaint little shop in Historic Culpeper called Tea, Lace, and Roses. They have a special room filled with floppy hats and drawers of gloves and pearls for the girls to try on. It was SO MUCH FUN! Since Carl and Robin were visiting, Robin was able to join us and have some "girl time." Being the only adults, we were fortunate to get to sample elegant finger sandwiches, which consisted of foods neither one of us would have considered trying under different circumstances. We enjoyed hearing the fancy names the hostess gave to each delicate item on our tiny plates. For example, what looked to us like a thin slice of cucumber with cream cheese on it was actually something like "Vegetable Wheel with Minted Dill Clotted Cream." Thank goodness, the girls all received glorified chicken nuggets, mini hotdogs in blankets, and smiley fries (all with better names of course). We all enjoyed our "pink lemonade" tea!
I made the cake in the shape of a teapot (pictured at the top) and every girl got a "teacup" cupcake. Heidi gave each friend a pretty purse filled with lip gloss, scented candles, hair clips, and sachets. Everyone had a blast--even Amy enjoyed herself, except for getting locked into the powder room due to a faulty antique lock. Luckily, Amy can scream pretty loud for a little lady. The party was a grand success and a great way to for Heidi to "arrive at the threshold of her teenage years." (yes, I made that up myself!)
Happy Birthday, Heidi!
5 comments:
Oh how fun! I wish I could have snuck out to enjoy some girl time too. It must have been such find seeing all of the girls pick out hats and gloves. Heidi has some very lucky friends!
We love our Heidi! You hold such a special place in all of our hearts and bring us such joy. We are always excited when we get a handmade creation from Heidi in the mail. You are so giving! We have a little angel hanging on our tree right now you made...we love you! Erica is so lucky to have you as a playmate!
OK, this seriously looks like the best party place ever! LOVE the hats and gloves, but then I've always been a sucker for costumes. Maybe they just look so great because of the adorable people wearing them!! The cakes are gorgeous. Jan, you never cease to amaze. (And Amy, this is a new look for you...slightly different from Spiderman.)
Heidi, we love you so much! What a joyous occasion, to see our beautiful girl growing up! And still so sweet. You have many gifts, but most important is the gift of sincere love and caring you give to others! We are proud of you, and wish you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Awesome birthday party. I hope you all held up your little pinkie fingers as you sipped your lemonade. I can't believe my Heidi is 12! So long to primary and on to Young Womens.
The tea party idea was quite appropriate for Heidi as she is such a lovely lady that has such fine taste :)
Happy birthday!
I was wondering what kind of a birthday party the "birthday party planner" would have! This fits the occasion splendidly. Heidi, I hope you love being 12. It is the start of so many wonderful experiences. I was just like you -- the first of the three sisters in my family to move on to Young Women's and "teenage"-ness. Secretly, i always thought that Young Women's should start at 13 when you actually are a "teen". Well, this year can just be a little sneak peek at all the fun you will have. Happy Birthday!
HAAAAAAPPPPPPYYYYY BIRRRRTTTTHHHDDAAAYYYYYY cha cha cha! Happy Birthday Heidi! I think you guys tried to call me earlier, I'm sorry I didn't get it - I was being lame and actually doing work in the library - I tried calling back, but it didn't go through. Lame excuse, I know - I'm sorry. But HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You are 12? Seriously? I remember when you were little and I'd try to imagine you being 12 like me, and I just couldn't do it. You are going to have a really fun time, you are officially in the Youth at Church, at can be in the activities, and go to the temple, and all that jazz. I hope you had a great day, and got lots of fire on your cake! Love ya Heidi, and I'll see you in like 2 weeks!
PS: didja get the package? Didja follow the steps and unfold the card? DIDJA KEEP THE CINNAMON BEARS AWAY FROM DAD???
Post a Comment