Thursday, December 11, 2008

Breaking News!!!! Jeffrey turns 16!!!!

Culpeper, VA (AP)--The following is an interview conducted with Jeffrey's amazingly hip mother, Jan Thelin, clad in flowered pajamas , a T-shirt, a pony tail, her husband's athletic socks, and stylish red crocs, shortly after Jeffrey's departure to school this morning:

Q: Could you confirm the rumors that your devastatingly handsome son is actually sixteen years old today?
A: Yes, it is true! Sixteen years ago, on this day, Jeffrey Gordon Thelin was born following some 27 hours of induced labor (as a mom, you have to include details like that.) We had originally not expected him until the first week of January, but due to my rising blood pressure even after 2 months of bedrest, it became necessary to hasten Jeffrey's arrival. I guess his flair for the dramatic started that very day!

Q: We heard that there was some incident involving drugs that day?
A: Well, yes, actually. Because of complications, the doctor prescribed some drugs to lower my blood pressure and help with pain. Ha Ha. You know the scene in Madagascar when they shoot Alex the lion with a tranquilizer? Yeah, that. So after a very absurd several hours with nurses growing to 15 ft. tall giants, me hiking up steep mountains of peppermint ice cream with each contraction, and during the actual birth, thinking that I was an enormous boiled shrimp on a dinner plate with mashed potatoes and peas--our darling baby boy was born to us. He was a little guy--barely 6 pounds--but completely perfect, and we loved him from the start!


Q: What are some of Jeffrey's favorite things to do now?
A: Jeffrey has kept us laughing since he could talk, and continues to keep our sense of humor sharpened. He starred in his first play in 3rd grade as the lawyer defending the Big Bad Wolf in some cute little story about fairy tale characters. He was hilarious and has loved acting ever since. When he isn't involved in a play, he is making movies for YouTube. He also started playing soccer when he was 5, and one of my favorite things has been watching him run--he is so FAST! Now he is running track for school, so I'm excited for that! Jeffrey is very musical. He has a great voice! He is always interested in trying out new instruments--he has recently taken up the kalimba! Jeffrey also draws incredible geometric patterns, which is something not many people know about. I think one day they will be famous because they are so unbelievably cool! As he is active in so many arenas, some people are surprised to find out that Jeffrey is also an excellent student, usually maintaining an A average in his many honors classes. He has always been a huge fan of reading, ever since he discovered the "Captain Underpants" series in 2nd grade.


Q: Does Jeffrey have a favorite animal? A favorite food?
A: Definitely monkeys. As you may recall, last year he got a gorilla suit for his birthday! Many years ago, Jeffrey divided our family into two groups based on personality traits. He was the leader of the "monkeys"--cool, fun-loving, risk-taking--which consisted of Jeffrey, Gordon, Amy, Holly, and sometimes Heidi (a distinction which causes contention to this day.) The other group, involving Christopher and myself, and sometimes Heidi (oh, the sad memories)- the play-it-safe, level-headed ones, but who can still appreciate an occasional mud bath--we were called the "pigs." That is the world, according to Jeffrey. You are either a monkey or you are a pig--except for Heidi (we actually found a card the other day from a few years ago stating, "I really AM queen of the monkeys, Jeffrey, you will see!") Jeffrey's favorite food is Mexican anything. FIESTA!

Q: Any unusual injuries growing up?
A: Oh yes. We've taken several trips to the emergency room over the years. Most notable was the famous "Power Ranger Incident", age 2, in which Chris (the Blue Ranger) kicked Jeffrey (who had morphed into an evil Putty man) a little more powerfully than planned and he snagged his nose on a staple sticking out of the couch. Jeffrey ripped out the stitches on the way home from the hospital, and still has a scar to be proud of to this day. Also, there was last year, when Jeffrey had his finger broken by the Devil during a game at Seminary.


Q: In closing, do you have a favorite story to share from his childhood?
A: There are so many...Jeffrey was one of those kids with a classic comment every time he opened his mouth. I looked through my many lists and chose a few quotes:

Age 3--When we announced that we were going to have another baby in our family, the kids were very excited. We explained that the baby was growing in Mommy’s tummy and would come out at Christmastime. The next day, he came to me and asked, “Mommy, do really have a baby in your tummy?” I replied, “Yes, I do!” He looked a little puzzled, and asked, “Mommy, why did you eat it?”

Age 5--One night Jeffrey was staying at Aunt Jill’s house while we were in the hospital with Heidi. He was walking around proudly with a pencil tucked behind his ear and marveled as he passed by Jill, “What would we ever do without ears?” Indeed.

Q: Finally, What is your wish for Jeffrey today?
A: We all love Jeffrey so much! I hope that Jeffrey has a wonderful day and a super year! This is an EPIC one! As Amy said to Holly last night,


"Jeffrey is turning sixteen? He can drive and go on dates?


Oh, Holly, our boy is growing up!"


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEFFREY!

Editor's Note: There are currently no photos available, since there is trouble with our server, on which ALL of the Thelin picures for the last 8 years are stored. Also, the printer is presently refusing to recognize our computer even though it is plugged into it, thus thwarting any efforts to scan. Please take a look again later!)


4 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Holly, our boy IS growing up :) Jeffrey you are so wise...yes, ears are SO handy. Okay, the real question I have is, do I qualify as a monkey or a pig? haha.

Jeffrey you are one awesome kid. Watch out ladies, Jeffrey is officially dating and driving age. Congrats Jan on almost having another taxi driver :)

Have a great 16th birthday. We love you!

Hannah said...

This is one of the best, and most entertaining interview I have ever read. It's true that as a mom, you need to include details about all of the pain, emotion, and exhaustion involved in labor. It's only fair!

Jeffrey! You are so talented! I didn't realize that you were running track as well...running is a rush, isn't it? I also wonder if I am a monkey or a pig, but considering I was the founder of the "cool" car in our family, I think I should be a monkey.

And, you know, ears really are handy if you think about it. We love you Jeffrey! I know the world is rejoicing today that you are officially date-able.

Jill said...

Jan, not to worry....who needs pictures with an interview as FABULOUS as this one? I fondly remember the events surrounding Jeffrey's birth, though not as fondly as you remember them, I'm sure. He was sure cute, and oh yeah, he's STILL cute! Never short on personality and talent, that's our Jeffrey.

Somehow, I never knew about the monkeys and pigs. The closest thing we had in OUR family was that we were too big to ride in one car, so we rode in two cars, which were referred to as the "cool" car and the "boring" car. Pretty much whatever car Angela was in was the "cool" car...or the carful of monkeys, if we were Thelins. Tell Heidi, if she's ever riding with us, her very presence would designate her car as the cool one.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEFFREY! We love you so much, and thank you for all the entertaining events, shows, and daily life experiences which have enriched our otherwise mundane existence! Yes, you are growing up, and doing a great job of it, too!

Jill said...

OK, now that I've read Hannah's comment, I'm supposing that Hannah's presence in the car was equally potent in designating the coolness factor. Sorry, I'd forgotten that, Hannah. How would I know, anyway? I was always in the boring car.