Saturday, February 21, 2009

Another Last


District Choir,2009, held at Fairfax HS.
Steven, front row, last guy on right.

When was our first District Choir? Rebecca? What grade...6th for sure. That would be around spring 1991? And every year since then. Some years we had two and even three students in district choir. It was always so exciting (and grueling) to practice so many hours in so few days, to miss school, to have a celebrity guest conductor, to learn challenging music. Sometimes there was drama, like the year kids started fainting. The toll hit three, the last of which face-planted on the stage and didn't get up. Paramedics came, the choir was dismissed and given water and snacks, then everybody filed back in and sang. Then there was the very sad year when FCPS canceled all activities because of a half inch of snow, so the performance couldn't happen!
But mostly, there are just wonderful memories of glorious singing.
And laryngitis for a week after.

Today was Steven's last District Choir performance. There was no fainting. Just beautiful music. He's done it all four high school years, and I'm pretty sure Middle School. Steven had strep throat earlier in the week, but got better by the time rehearsals began on Thursday.

Which is a good thing, because they also had All-State auditions on Thursday, before district rehearsal began. And Steven had a great audition and will be singing Tenor 1 in All-State Choir in Fredericksburg on April 25!

HURRAY!!!!!


Oh great. Our last All-State Choir performance.


Steven, Ms. Lardin, Jill. (Dan, of course, is taking the picture.)

5 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Way to go steven on District AND on making All State. That's totally awesome! Way to go mom on having so many talented children to watch in years and years of choir performances. Another last for you...

Hannah said...

Hooray! I'll have to mark All-state on my choir and hopefully I can come. I think the week after is when we go to NY! I'm glad we didn't plan it for the same weekend or Mom would have been pretty booked.

Way to go Steven. I am quite amazed at all that you do. I was telling the Mautzes about your accomplishments and they were very impressed. "What a week of great news for Steven!" Way to go!

janner said...

Congratulations Steven! Jeffrey was in Districts last week, so we have music just coming out all over! Unlike your parents, it was a FIRST for us (acutally Heidi made it in last year, but had that awful flu and couldn't go). I took 2 video cameras and a regular camera and every single one was out of batteries! So we bought the CD and luckily someone put up the choir performances on YouTube so I feel better. That is great about All-State, although we are not a bit surprised! Jeffrey also had several friends get in too, so maybe we'll trek to Fredricksburg to see you all perform in April! Great Job!

becca said...

Nothing beats a good choir performance! Mom, I remember you saying after one All-State performance, "It gives you hope for the future!" I still remember that 1991 6th grade district performance. You were about 9 months pregnant with Steven, I believe, but you made it! So that means Steven has been a part of District choirs his WHOLE LIFE!

Dan said...

Great job, Steven!