Friday, January 23, 2009

Steven's Big Month

Nothing like starting off the new year with a jam-packed January...In the last three weeks, Steven passed his Eagle Board of Review (we made it! YEAH!), finished up the second quarter of his senior year, performed in a major musical production at school, and got his wisdom teeth out (today)! Luckily, we have a four day weekend to recuperate before the third quarter of school begins. Oh yeah, and to write those essays for the scholarship application.
DISNEY DAZZLE was indeed dazzling...I was the costume coordinator, which means I was at school for several hours every day for two weeks before production. Several of the costumes, including Mickey and Minnie (and their furry headpieces with ears), were made by me...but I also had some good seamstresses who made some other beautiful things. I had to review and adjust all the choices made by the students for their "Newsies" and "God Help the Outcasts" numbers, and for numerous solos, etc. And then, just tracking several outfits each for over 80 students meant organizing hundreds of costumes to be trotted out of the choir closet again and again for rehearsals and four different performances. I ended up being the backstage mom, dealing with injuries ("Put ice on that hand you just crushed in the door!"), forgotten cues, lost buttons, ripped pants, tears (pronounced "tares") and tears (pronounced "teers"). My worst job was making sure 41 unreliable battery-operated candles would light up at the same time during the "Outcast" number....they were very fickle!!
(BELOW: backstage in the chorus room with a few of my hundreds of costumes, and exuberant students--notice one dancing on a chair)


Steven did a fantastic job, performing in five of the numbers. He never sought the limelight, but he really looked great on stage, singing and dancing with the best of them. Though he hadn't looked forward to the show and all its demands, he actually enjoyed himself and got into the performance. We knew he had the voice...turns out he had the moves, too! There is no experience quite like being in a stage production...it makes for great friendships and great memories. I'm glad we had this experience together.

We didn't do such a great job of getting pictures, but here are several to give you an idea of a few of the numbers. There were 18 numbers in all, with Mickey and Minnie making appearances with a running narration.

BELOW: Steven was in both of these numbers, but wasn't caught in these two photos, taken by another mom. The first is "Be Our Guest" and the second is part of a "Newsies" medley.


Find Steven in the pictures BELOW: "I'll Make a Man Out of You" (Mulan), "We're All in This Together" (High School Musical), and the finale.



Below is a movie of Steven and friends in "I'll Make a Man Out of You" with some great choreography. The music is a little wavy from my tiny camera recording, but it sounded great in real life! Can you pick out Steven in the lineup? He looks pretty good doing those push-ups!



Here Steven runs down the aisle to join in "We're All in This Together." Then he's in the second row and you get a good view of him. Again, the singing sounded great in real life, but is a bit wavy and fuzzy on this little recording from my tiny camera.



BELOW:
Thelin cousins join the performer after the show. THANKS for coming, guys! We LOVE you!
Also thanks to Jack & Cindy and the Walsers for sharing our day.


Erica loved the show (and danced through the second half)....but missed her nap and was feeling a little tired when it was all over.

She is wearing a Disney blouse that was Heidi's when she was 3!

We have been blessed to have so many wholesome opportunities for our kids growing up! It's crazy to think I'm nearly at the end of this phase.....thank goodness for grandchildren!!




5 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Awesome Steven. I even really liked the We're All in This Together for HSM! I love the dance moves...break it down. Oh yeah. I'm sorry I missed it but glad that you had friends and family supporting you.

Now, get better from those dumb wisdom teeth!

Hannah said...

It was a great time! Erica seriously had the time of her life at Disney Dazzle...I need to get her to more things like that!

Steven has had a very big month! We're looking forward to his Court of Honor, whenever that will be! I hope he's recovering well from those Wisdom teeth!

janner said...

It was a fabulous show! And congrats to Steven on the Eagle BOR--that is so cool! It sure was great of him to rise out of his bed and an uneartly hour this morning to come hear Chris! What a trooper. Especially since you had to fold your stomach into those four 20-mile segments to get here...hahaha. We will not forget that one anytime soon.

janner said...

P.S. You did a great job with the costumes Jill. I have only done a tiny bit of that kind of work for a show on a much smaller scale, but I know that it is insane backstage! It is also fun though, to be where the real action is! What will the schools do without you when you don't have anyone left there? Maybe they'll make a shrine for you or something...

becca said...

I know I've said that I wish I could have been there, but it deserves to be said again. I wish I could have been there!
I could absolutely pick out Steven in both those numbers -- and I wish I could see the other numbers, too.

Mom, the costumes looked awesome! I can't believe you were the official backstage mom. I remember how important that job is from dance shows. I think you are brave to be with all those high schoolers and their excitement!