Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Happy Anniversary, Super-Dan!

This seems to be the year of super-hero flicks..."Iron Man," "The Incredible Hulk".....but I have my OWN super hero in REAL LIFE: the man I married 32 years ago this month.

Our anniversary was last week, but I was visiting Angie and Mike in Vegas while Dan was sailing and snorkeling off the Florida Keys with Steven. Sometimes parenting is a divide and conquer strategy....but as I was sitting in the airport last Thursday morning, I got a cell phone call from Dan who had come ashore to wish me a Happy Anniversary. You gotta love this guy. I know I do.

Here we are (below, left) on our first date, at BYU, in 1974. He was such a heart throb! As I recall, he made me a steak dinner that night before the dance. He set a beautiful table in his apartment (candles, flowers, the works) and shooed away all his roommates. Very impressive. But one roommate thought the table looked too perfect, so placed a rolling pin in the middle of it. Funny the stuff you remember!! The second picture was our engagement photo, taken in 1976. Dan has the tiniest bruise under his left eye from a skiing accident. I just thought it was cool that he KNEW how to ski! My hero!


The day before we were married, we toured DC with Dan's parents, and he was showing off big time!

July 10, 1976 we got married in the Washington, D.C. Temple. We had our reception at Mom and Dad's house in Oakton. Don't you love those cute sideburns?


Dan's been sweeping me off my feet ever since.

Somewhere in there, we raised a BIG family!!

Of course, now we love being grandparents....we're old, but we're not PREHISTORIC!


We've still GOT it!

Happy Anniversary, Dan. You are steady, kind, smart, strong, sweet, funny, capable, and patient. (And handsome.) You were heaven-sent to me. You are the love of my life. Forever.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Ah so cute! I just showed this to the entire Mautz household and they all thought they were great! Happy Anniversary. It is so wonderful to have parents who love each other so devotedly and know how to show it!

becca said...

I love this post! I love my parents! I love that my parents love each other! I am lucky, indeed. I knew it was your anniversary -- sorry I forgot to celebrate it with you.

I've seen all those pictures, but it's fun to see them in order and watch the times fly by. I especially like when you guys coordinated with striped shirts the day before your wedding. And, I'm a little partial to the cute grandparent picture with Robert and Seth.

We've had happy times, haven't we! Thanks for showing us how it's done! Matt and I have our 9th anniversary in a few weeks!

Dan said...

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad! It's great to see these pictures of you guys. So happy and cute and young.

For some reason it is mind-boggling to me to think of Mom and Dad as this young little couple. When I was a kid they seemed to be big grown-ups. But now, at age 30, I look at those pictures and see that they were really not so grown up. They were just little 20 year olds! It blows my mind.

I love you guys! Thanks for being great parents and for getting married to each other.

Angela and Mike said...

Great post and happy anniversary. Thanks for celebrating it with me in Vegas :) I'm so glad I have parents that love each other and aren't afraid to show it. People always say, "oh, just wait till you've been married for 10 years...then you won't act like that anymore." I always respond to them with, "Yes I will! My parents do and they've been married for 32 years!"

janner said...

YOU GUYS ARE SO ADORABLE! I certainly remember the entire process of finding out you were engaged and the whole wedding preparation business, the special day, and all the wonderful things that followed in the years since! Hope you had a great anniversary! Great job on the blog too! Do you want to put one together for me in a few weeks? haha. It's our
20th! Where does time go?

Sharon said...

In one of those pictures ( I think your engagement picture) you looked exactly like Hannah. Such cute pictures and such a wonderful couple. I hope you got to celebrate when you both returned to Virginia.