There are some pretty great conversations happening on a regular basis at Jan's house . . . but it wasn't that long ago that our house was hopping with young ones and their classic comments. I recently came across an old letter I'd written to Grandma with the following story:
I was doing some household task and asked little Danny (age 6) to help. He declined. Rebecca (age 4) commented, "Danny, you're helpless."
"No Rebecca," replied Danny. "Helpless doesn't mean you won't help. It means you're in trouble and you have no power."
"Maybe he'll grow up to write a dictionary," I wrote at the time . . . . but now that I'm looking at it, it was pretty smart of a four-year-old to think of the word "helpless" in the first place! "Maybe she'll grow up to write a blog," I should have also said!
And now, to explain Jan's "Dave Blinkin" reference: Hannah was notorious for getting things ALMOST right. One February, near Presidents' Day, she came home from kindergarten very enthusiastic. (Actually Hannah was always enthusiastic.) "I'm so excited! I can't wait for Dave Blinkin's birthday!" "WHOSE birthday?" I asked. "You know, Dave Blinkin!" she answered with eyes aglow, singing the song. "Ol' Dave Blinkin, he was born in the wilderness, born in the wilderness, born in the wilderness. Ol' Dave Blinkin, he was born in the wilderness many long years ago!"
This was the very same kindergartner who proudly announced on the first day of November, "It's almost VALENTIME's DAY! Do you know how I can tell? Because there's a CHICKEN on the calendar!"
4 comments:
I was pretty cute huh... :)
I love the intelligent conversations of Danny and Becca at age 6 and 4. I must have just thrown the whole world upside-down with my "lack" thereof. ha ha!
What would our family have been like without those "eyes aglow" of Hannah's? BORING. Thank goodness for Dave Blinkin and Flamingo and creative children in every generation!
haha, I love the story of Danny and Becca. They were always pretty smart! Good thing you had them first and not me and Hannah...otherwise you might not have wanted to have 6 children! Just kidding, I'm sure we were wonderful too :)
OK, Hannah and Angie, you KNOW you were prizewinning cute. If not, would I have gone on to have Joey and Steven???
Post a Comment