Hurray! I survived my Thursday shoulder adventure. It was just as fun as I expected, with these added benefits:
I got the undivided attention of my sweet husband all day.
I got to wear a nifty blue paper elastic cap, just like a cafeteria worker.
They gave me (to keep!) some cool little socks with nonslip soles.
I got two temporary tattoos . . . yes, two different people asked me WHICH ARM needed the procedure . . . the receptionist wrote "yes" on my right shoulder, and later a nurse put the initials of my surgeon on my right shoulder—both in purple ink! Very reassuring!
I got to wake up with my right arm taped to my head, in a position it hadn’t experienced in a year! (Ouch!) But after a while they untaped it! (Hurray again!)
I got my first trip to the Rehab Center, which I prefer to call "The Chamber of Creative Discomfort." But while I was there, I discovered that my arm finally has all the freedom of motion that I haven’t enjoyed for a year! Hurray! (And ouch again!)
I got special treatment all evening at home while I dozed on the couch, including donated meals, ice packs, and wonderful "gifts" from my attentive granddaughter. (Erica, who sensed my need, presented me at various times with a red balloon, a line-up of Fisher Price Little People along my tummy, and her favorite soft stuffed moose, called "Moo.")
Speaking of dozing all evening, I admit I was slightly off kilter. One of the dreams I had, between Erica’s gifts, was that I was writing a blog. But not on a computer. I dreamt that I had to write a blog on a pog. It was tricky. I haven’t thought of pogs in a real long time, but hey, it rhymes with blogs. Kids, this is your brain on drugs.
Today, Friday, I got to go to "The Chamber of C. D." again, but here’s the perk: I bought myself a COOL LOOKING TANK TOP to wear there, and I look like Venus Williams. And I got to buy this fabulous pulley thing to hang on the pantry door here at home. I sit in the kitchen with my back to the wall and use my good arm to pull my goofy arm clear up. It’s very satisfying!
Truly, all , I am VERY PLEASED with how good I feel today, how very exciting it is to no longer have this block of immobility in my arm, how wonderful it is to have family and friends to care about me (thank you, Hannah, for rides, yummy food, and six hours of "Pride and Prejudice"), and how very blessed I am with good health and energy. And ALSO that I don’t really have to write a blog on a pog. Hurray!
5 comments:
I can personally vouch that you look tough like Venus Williams! And, that the pulley system is pretty spectacular. Watching mom inflict pain on herself with each exercise was weird at first (I had to turn away), but she's so tough that I found I could watch! Way to go mom!
Thanks for all your encouragement. It means so much to me!
I'm glad Mom's getting better! "Kids, this is your brain on drugs"--I love it!
Yeah, I'm glad you are feeling better. Every time I think about tearing scar tissue etc. I cringe!
Wow, congrats on the awesome hat and slippers. I love the story about Erica giving you presents, how sweet.
I bet you look totally hot in your tank top, better than Venus Williams!
Ouch, I just read what Hannah said about you inflicting pain on yourself. I don't think I'd be able to watch either. You are amazing mom, I am so proud of you!
I got slippers like that when I had my sonogram(s) with Seth! They're bright kelly green and fabulous. I suppose you couldn't earn them at a sonogram, so shoulder "manipulation" is the next best thing!
Mom, way to go! You really have a good attitude (and a lot of patience).
Post a Comment