Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Family that Plays Together, Stays Together

I know it has been forever since I wrote a blog, and I envisioned that when I did, I would be relating all of the great Thelin stories...

like how Jeffrey sent me a text message last week that said, "Mommy! I need you to bring to school the money that is tacked on my board, one of my beards, some gym shorts, and a dress for Alex to wear." Followed by, "Something renaissance-ish would be good." Just part of a normal day as Jeffrey's mom. I didn't even question it. I laughed though. Not only was the message funny, but the fact that I actually had all the items he needed.(As it turned out that the boys were filming a commercial after school for an AP English project, something about Excalibur--should be on YouTube soon.) Jeffrey is also doing awesome in running, coming in the top few runners each week at the meets, so cool!

Or I thought I might tell you about the day Gordon walked downstairs to see Holly sitting alone at "Frank and Bob's" (the rest of us were gone somewhere). He asked her, "How's it going Holly?" To which she replied, "Oh, it's OK. Business is a little slow today though." Really? Gordon tried to point out, as he purchased a breath mint for 58 cents, that since they were the only two people home, the customer base was a little depleted. He suggested she take a break. "I can't," she explained with a sigh, "This is my shift."

I also had considered a post about the fact that Heidi got the leading role in her 8th grade play! She came home just screaming and jumping with excitement! The teacher said her monologue was so amazing! I joined in on the celebration, and then a little while later asked what the play was about. It's a modern piece, called "FREAK," about suicidal circus people, more or less--with creepy weird and depressed characters like a bearded lady, conjoined twins, tatoo man, you know, happy stuff like that. Heidi is the newest member of the troupe, "Monique the Freak." You can only imagine my feelings of pride! The other middle school is doing "Romeo and Juliet," which sounds so much more normal and healthy, except that Heidi pointed out that that play is totally about suicide too. She's right of course. At least, in Heidi's play, Monique chooses life over jumping off the ledge in the end. I'm so glad. She will be performing the play in a state-wide competition in November.

And then was the blog I was going to write about Amy. Thank goodness for her. Gordon had to put the girls on the bus the other day as I was driving to seminary. Now we all know about Amy's hair...it can be pretty intense, brushed or not. As the kids were heading out the back, Amy remembered she forgot to brush her hair. Gordon said there was no time, they had to run to catch the bus. So as Amy is running down Grandma's driveway, he sees her bend down and without breaking her stride, scoop up a stick off the ground and start pulling it through her hair! Who else but Amy would think of that? So my daughter went off to school that day having brushed her hair with a stick. Hilarious.

OK. So it is a good thing that I didn't take the time to write a blog like THAT. Haha. What actually got me on the blog today was the fact that I have to give a little 5 minute class on "Creative Dates and Family Activities on a Dime." I have been feeling very blah about it, especially on the heels of pulling off my Young Women in Excellence program two nights ago. I'm just worn out. Yet strangely, when I sat down to work on this RS thing last night, it seemed easiest to just write a poem instead of looking up ideas and trying to prepare something to say. Here is the finished product...we'll see how it goes over:

When you’ve been married for awhile
You can, at times, forget to smile.
Kids and things keep you up too late;
There’s no money or time to go on a date.

When you try sleeping, there are kids in your bed
Two at your feet, and one on your head.
“Am I a good mom? Am I a good wife?”
You question yourself as you ponder your life.

The questions keep coming, once they’ve begun
You think, “What can we do to have some more fun?”
Can we find romance midst diapers and toys?
Are there cheap things to do that our family enjoys?

The answer is “YES!” Do not despair!
Put on some cute clothes, and fix up your hair!
Send your love a message to meet later that night
In the kitchen to eat ice cream by candlelight!

Sometimes the kids can be part of the plan
To help cook a fun dinner for your favorite man
Dress them up as your waiters, take pictures, don’t miss!
They’ll be peeking round corners to see if you kiss!

Set the troops up with junk food in front of the TV
While you and your hubby sneak downstairs to play games on the Wii
You’ll be discovered before much time has passed
But then let them join in and just have a blast!

Spending time as a family doesn’t have to cost money,
Kids love to discover their parents are funny!
Act out stories, play board games, or make a home movie,
Put on some old songs and dance really groovy!

Much fun can be had in the yard with a ball,
Don’t forget to jump in the leaves when it’s fall!
In winter, be sure to get out on a sled,
Make igloos, and angels, and a snowman named Fred.

Be creative! Set a timer and let the kids sort your socks!
Just for a change, eat lunch today inside of a box!
Be spontaneous! Run around outside in the rain!
Read a book as a family—improve your brain!

We set the mood in the home, as moms and as wives
Remember God gave us families to bring joy to our lives!
If you chance to meet a frown, do not let it stay!
Quickly turn it upside down, and go out with your family to play!

Love to everyone! Hope you have a great day!
Jan

5 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Oh I LOVED THIS. I love Holly during her shift of the Frank and Bob store, Jeff needing a beard, Heidi in the suicide play, the poem. All so awesome. Thanks for filling me in on your exciting life, I miss you guys!

Hannah said...

JAN--you are BRILLIANT! This is so much better than a list of ideas because it actually inspires you to have fun and be creative! I may have to print this out as a reference to read when I take life a little to seriously.

And the stories of each individual are hysterical. I laughed out loud about each one! I really hope I get to see Heidi as a suicidal girl...that must really require talent!

Jill said...

Jan, Hannah's right, you really are brilliant. I love your poem, and by now I'm sure you've done a fabulous job with teaching your class. You make life fun for so many people...not just your kids. Me, too.

OK. I am so glad that Heidi is starring in a play that is LESS SUICIDAL than Romeo and Juliet. My hairdresser has stopped doing hair, and I am to the point where I am considering styling my hair with a stick--thanks, Amy, for the idea. And Holly? We'll I'm thinking there are some child labor laws being broken here somehow.

Truly, I got to laughing about Holly's shift when I was in the shower tonight, and I just couldn't stop.

Jan, I am brilliant, too, and here's my idea: Use your poem in your Christmas card this year. It should be everyone's New Year's resolution.

Jill said...

How could I forget to mention Jeffrey's text message. I think he has captured the true meaning and spirit of texting. If it has a meaning and spirit, this would be it.

becca said...

This poem goes right along with your wedding advice, "find something to laugh at everyday." Your stories work for that, too. Like we always say, "you cannot make this stuff up." I love the beard text, the Frank & Bob's shift, the stick, and the LEAD in the play. That's amazing -- what a unique opportunity and a unique play. I'm picturing some very cool costumes.