Wednesday, October 13, 2010

While you were out....


OK, Joey and Steven. You officially grew up. I am realizing that Steven will be out of the house for two years while he serves his mission in Peru, and that Joey, a full-time college student, has been home a total of two weeks in 2010. So, this means.....your bedrooms are fair game for a little redecorating.

Not to worry, boys. You still have your rooms. They are retaining their "essence" and I'm not ditching any of your treasures. But I'm simplifying and updating the surfaces to make them more "user friendly."

Factors to consider: I have a sewing business, and as such spend a good deal of time in my sewing room, which is the SMALLEST of all the bedrooms upstairs. This is how I justify borrowing a wall in Joey's room for some of my storage. Um, thanks, Joey, in retrospect, for the unselfish loaning of your wall space for my convenience. In return, I got you a new bedspread and made you new curtains.

Factors to consider: Christmas is coming, with multiple kids and grandkids coming home, and Steven's room, the LARGEST in the house, was home to only one twin bed. This is no longer the case. Thanks, Steven, for allowing your room to be a little more dorm-style than when you left. Don't worry. All your precious Lego creations and Rubics cubes are safely stored high on a shelf in the closet, away from curious grandchildren.

So....let's take a peek!

First of all, Joey's room, new, improved, and simplified:

Below: This is the first view of Joey's room, as you come down the hall and see it through the door. You will note, I have traded out your old picture of the lion and lioness (which had gotten quite sun-faded) for this LDS painting of the lamb and the lion, called "Without any Ire." And, as you can see, there's less stuff on the walls, and the bed is moved to a new location.




You have a gorgeous new bedspread and pillows and lamps. A little of your original art is on the walls, as well as some of your certificates.




You also have new window treatments, which are cordless white shades (fantastic) and JillSaidSew original denim valance with button detail.






The shelves are straightened and consolidated.



The detail of this circular drawing is phenomenal. I think you were in fifth grade? Note the cool new lamp.



These throw pillows are the best, one from "Bed Bath and Beyond," and one is a middle eastern import from "World Market" that has tiny mirrors in the fabric.



OK, here's the concession: My JillSaidSew storage wall. Thanks for sharing. This helps me a TON. I am trying to think of a way to make the boxes more aesthetically pleasing. They have labels like "novelty fabrics," "satins and shimmer," "cotton solids," "rib knit, " "batting and fluff." Think you can live with that???



Now for Steven's new room:

Steven's changes are a little more dramatic, since I actually took out his bed, and added two new beds instead. We already had the mattresses, so we only had to buy two basic twin bed frames from Walmart and assemble them. Also new are two reddish table lamps (Lowe's), and one Ikea nightstand, to match the other. Many thanks to models Erica and Aaron for adding life to these photos. Please note that Erica is making a FISH FACE in absolutely EVERY picture I took of her.



How dear is this? Steven had put a thumbtack in the world map on Cusco Peru. I didn't notice it until after he left. Not movin' that.



Below, you can discern the theme of the room, which is ADVENTURE. Introduced by the focus object, the ship from Grandpa Farrell's collection, the theme is carried through the room with the maps and the flags. (Flag is observable in mirror.) The soft colors of the maps are contrasted with the bright colors of the flags, which are repeated in the curtains and throw pillows. Yes, I have been watching too much HGTV!!!!




By the way, Joey, I laundered the Mexican flag blanket which you purchased on your mission, and it turned out terrific! Soft, clean, and cozy (as modeled by Erica, below). Right now it has a home in the ADVENTURE room, but let me know if you'd like it at college.



The other flag in the room is the Peruvian flag, which Steven purchased and hung right after he received his mission call.



The shelves are nicely arranged, and have a few toys that the grandkids like to play with. Above the shelves is a flag poster, and a couple of Steven's accomplishments.


(Can you believe I found this striped throw rug at Kohl's which completely matches my striped valance fabric from JoAnn's? Woohoo.)



(How many fish faces can Erica make????? Aren't her lips getting tired?)

Below is the detailing of the JillSaidSew valances, along with the newly purchased cordless shades, which are the best thing since sliced bread.







I am just beginning work on my sewing room. Dan plans to bring some leftover furniture home from the office, which he thinks I can use for a table and storage. Right now, and for the past two years, I've been using a table I rescued from the Brigg's trash. Uh, yeah. Anyway, I just made new valances, which I like much better than my old ones, and used some donated yellow fabric to cover my closet opening. Also, get a load of the gorgeous Virginia view I get while I iron!



(Angie, thanks for the cute JillSaidSew sign.)





Well, more later, from the continuing saga of the empty nester redecorating project! Come see for yourselves!

6 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

I love your HGTV decorating skills...adventure room, lion room...awesome! I can't wait until I get to come out for Christmas. Do we get lion room or basement? I LOVE the comforter in joey's room. The matching beds are great in Steven's room and I LOVE the thumb tack...yes definitely don't move that. Love it. I need to go back and look at it all again now!

becca said...

I officially get to see it all soon! Hurray! I love Erica's fish faces, but the room looks great, too. It is funny that the biggest room only had one bed -- how insightful to make it more of a dorm. I love Joey's bedspread, and the valances in the adventure room. You really have been busy!

Jill said...

Becca, I'm so excited you can come...you can sleep in a different bed here every night!

Hannah said...

I can attest that the rooms look phenomenal! I think redecorating is so fun! (At least, I imagine it would be--I haven't had the chance to do it yet) :)

And, I'm happy to supply you with models for your pictures anytime--I'll accept payment in dinner or childcare...or maybe both. Oh wait, I think you've probably prepaid for their services for at least 200 years.

Joseph said...

Well, Mother, as a professional student of industrial design, I can only say wow! You have a tremendous eye and have done a great job with those rooms! I think my favorite would be the treatment my bed got ... cooool colors, and the middle eastern pillow is sweet.

I'm glad you found my Mexico flag blanket! I was looking for it. It is super comfortable for sure. You can keep it at home for now, I don't need it.

I can't wait to get home and see it all for myself! Very fun!

janner said...

Wow! I'm impressed with what can be done when the kids grow up! There is hope for my house! (although I'm not in any rush to empty out the kids...just the stuff!) Everything looks fabulous! I am inspired! And you have something HGTV does not...the cute "fishface" girl and her brother to show off the finished product!