It only took me three separate purchases to come up with the right bedspread and pillows! (I had to return the first two because when I got them home I decided they looked like somebody else's bed, and not mine. But when I matched this modern blue with the antique patterned pillows, I knew I had found home!) In a bold decorating stroke, we bought a red-stained trunk for the foot of the bed. It looks awesome, and holds extra blankets, etc. I call it an "accent piece" because it sounds so professional to say that. The windows have cordless accordion shades, and little white valances. They look so crisp and clean, and the view is beautiful! Also, that's a real plant which I will earnestly try to keep alive.
Below are the two dressers: Mine has an oval mirror and two adorable little drawers on top for jewelry. Really, these are the world's cutest little drawers. Dad's dresser is very massive and manly with lots of nice drawer space. We have four new brushed nickel lamps (silvery color) with nicely shaped lampshades.
Below are the pictures we will hang on the walls (just haven't gotten to it, yet). The blue one you'll recognize as one Riley got us as a wedding present. It has been all over the house in different places during the last 32 years. The red one is a beautiful water color by Grandma Elaine. (You may see it again on your Christmas cards this year!) One will probably go over the bed, and one over Dan's dresser. We also have (not shown) a framed full length mirror to put on the blank wall on the right of the door when you come in.
Today the bedroom, tomorrow THE BATHROOM! Dan and I are trying to solve the national financial crisis by single-handedly raising the consumer spending index. I alternate between feeling guilty and grateful. Then I saw this statement on the front of the IKEA catalog and decided it was OK to have a nice room. It said, "Home is the most important place in the world." So I decided to just be happy.
7 comments:
IT LOOKS AWESOME! Mike's favorite is the accent bench and he really like your dresser with the circle mirror.
I seriously did NOT recognize the room when I first clicked over to your blog. I was thinking, "who's house is this". Very successful room makeover and SO DESERVED. Way to go mom!
I love it...the pillows...the bed spread...the dark furniture (LOVE love)...the sitting corner...the real plant. I can't wait to see the room in person.
Ooooooooo I love it! I can't wait to see it in person! Seriously, it makes me want to redecorate my house! I love the "accent piece," the vintage pillows, the manly dresser, the oval mirror and jewelry drawers and the crisp windows. I can't wait to see the pics on the wall!
OK--Please send your decorating team over to my house next and finish MY room! I am so jealous that you got yours finished first! Just kidding! Seriously, it looks awesome. My favorite thing is the little drawers in your dresser. It was fun that you brought one out for us to see at Grandma's! I just like thinking of them bedazzled with the Farrell crowned jewels. It seems so regal to have your own "jewelry drawers." I love the color choices--you did the right thing changing. This is perfect. And I love that you are using Mom's painting...especially since even Stuart admitted that it "showed some talent!" Great job!
OK--Please send your decorating team over to my house next and finish MY room! I am so jealous that you got yours finished first! Just kidding! Seriously, it looks awesome. My favorite thing is the little drawers in your dresser. It was fun that you brought one out for us to see at Grandma's! I just like thinking of them bedazzled with the Farrell crowned jewels. It seems so regal to have your own "jewelry drawers." I love the color choices--you did the right thing changing. This is perfect. And I love that you are using Mom's painting...especially since even Stuart admitted that it "showed some talent!" Great job!
Mom's painting shows talent? You can say that again, Jan! Oh wait, you did!
OH, man! This is a fabulous post, Mom! It makes me so happy! I love your "bold decorating strokes". I am so glad you fit the chest into the decor. The color scheme is exactly right. I love the bedspread and the accent pillows. You definitely picked the right set. Oh yeah, and the lamps are great, too! Good grief -- do you ever leave your room?
I feel like I've been there now!
You are ALL so great to care and notice every detail. (Of course, it doesn't hurt that I pointed out EVERY detail.) Love you all.
Post a Comment