Sunday, October 5, 2008

Our Missionary is Home!

To our delight, Elder Joseph Farrell returned home on Friday, October 3, 2008 from his two year mission in the Texas San Antonio Mission. Hannah dropped her little ones off with Aunt Carrie for their naps, and she joined Dan, Steven and me at the airport. We picked Steven up a little early from school so we'd be sure to be there ahead of the 2:40 PM flight arrival. Hannah and I wore "Welcome Home" streamers, and we made another sign that said "We love Joey." We had balloons (smiley faces, "Welcome Home," and a cowboy boot!). The half hour or so that we waited at the airport seemed like an eternity! I was particularly antsy, and once almost lept out of my chair because I saw someone who was wearing a suit and a nametag....however it was an airport employee who was bald and of another race..my family was really laughing at me at this point. So, I started looking for more than just the suit and nametag. Then I saw a face that looked like a stake president, but handsomer than any stake president I had ever seen.....it was my son!!!!

(Sorry, there are no pictures of Dan here, as he was the photographer. I think Hannah has some on her camera, so we'll add those later.)

(We called grandma while waiting for our luggage, and also ran into Sister Carver, and Pres. and Sister Burton in the terminal! They were on their way to Utah for Conference. It was an exciting time!)

Speaking of Stake Presidents, that was the next stop on our agenda. While Hannah went back to rescue her little nappers and nurse the baby, Dan, Steven, Elder Farrell, and I went to President Calderwood's house for our Elder Farrell to be officially released. While Joey and Pres. C. chatted in his office, Steven, Dan and I waited and got acquainted with the family dachsund. Eventually, they reappeared and we went into an adjacent room where Pres. C. told us that when he first saw Elder F. he immediately received the impression that this had been an honorable missionary who had done all the Lord asked, and whose service had been accepted by the Lord. He then had Elder F. bear his testimony to us, then he pronounced the official words which released Joey from being a missionary. There were tears flowing, as Joey felt the bereavement of leaving that calling which he cherished so deeply, and well, we were just all pretty emotional.

Below: Joey and President Calderwood

On the way home, Joey said he felt like he'd been kicked in the stomach, but he started warming up as he proceeded to call his siblings on the cell phone and hear all those loving voices. Back at home, which looked pretty good after those two years, he got acquainted with Aaron and Erica. Erica hasn't exactly bonded with Joey, yet, but Aaron welcomed him right away by ripping off his missionary nametag and chewing on it. That was a pretty painless way to lose the nametag, right?

Eventually, after a dinner of pot roast and veggies, Joey relaxed enough to lose the suit, and by the next morning was climbing the tree in the front yard!

On Saturday we went to Amissville where we were greeted by enthusiastic Thelins and their lovely banners and offerings!


Then we went next door to Grandma and Grandpa's where there was just too much joy to photograph, but we did end up having several birthday celebrations...Grandma, Joey, Jack, Amy, and even Erica got to blow out a candle for Anni Kirby who was turning one that day in another state! We'll just celebrate ANYTHING!!





Between babies, toddlers, excited conversations, and happy children's activities, we attempted to watch General Conference. A highlight of the day was having all the priesthood brethren head out together to go to the Priesthood Session of General Conference. I think that was my favorite image of the day.


We are just so blessed and grateful, and look forward to the coming days and weeks as the details of the mission begin to flow, and Elder Farrell becomes our Joey again. We thank the Lord for his safe return, and for a wonderful son who served so faithfully.

5 comments:

becca said...

I can't think of any clever comment, just a simple I love you! I love seeing my family together. I love that Joey's home -- I hope he feels more that he's gotten a pat on the back and less that he's gotten kicked in the stomach. Thanks for the pictures -- I really miss you!

Angela and Mike said...

Climbing a tree, homemade signs, cowboy hats...how fun! I'm glad I finally got to talk to Joey again on the phone. Okay, Joey...I love the Texas belt buckle and the Texas Longhorn shirt. Since Mike is from TX, we like the Longhorns too!

great pictures...love JOEY and love you ALL. I hope that name tag is all nice and slobbery!.

Hannah said...

I loved getting to re-live the fun of this weekend! I feel pretty spoiled that I get to enjoy Joey for the next few months, but I am pretty excited that we get to have him around! We'll miss him when he goes back out to school!

I love the pic of him in the tree...seriously, that was awesome.

janner said...

We're so excited to have been a part of the special weekend! We were all so happy to see Joey! Amy was especially amazed by the big silver Texas belt buckle. She is still talking about it. We can't wait to spend more time with him!

janner said...

p.s. We all agree that the cowboy boot balloon was a really nice touch! Also, thanks again for providing the handsome missionary AND bringing all of the food for us to eat, too! It was a great time!