Far be it for me to generate any kind of political discussion, but I had to share this story about "Debate Night" at the Thelin house. At about 9:30 as I was trying to get everyone off to bed, Gordon says, "Oh, hey, isn't tonight the debate? Do you think we should turn it on?"
I agreed, reluctantly, since we never can get anyone to bed at a decent time here, and this would surely impede my progress. As the TV was switched on, Heidi moaned and went to take a shower. Jeffrey retreated to his room to "study" (which interpreted, means "facebook"). Amy began explaining how if Obama wins he will be the "first black man ever in the world" and if McCain wins, there will be the "first lady helper ever ." Amy is very interested in elections--last year a member of our ward was elected sheriff and she was his biggest supporter. Buttons, stickers, the whole nine yards.
Holly was immediately engaged in the debate format. She began arranging her stuffed animals on little barbie chairs as if they were part of the town hall meeting. She even made little signs for them to hold. McCain was cheered on by a charming little plush terrier while the "Rockabama" sign was raised by a pudgy hedgehog wearing a snowsuit. Holly then got out papers and a pen and very seriously began taking notes like she was Tom Brokaw. It seemed as though she was scoring the debate.
I agreed, reluctantly, since we never can get anyone to bed at a decent time here, and this would surely impede my progress. As the TV was switched on, Heidi moaned and went to take a shower. Jeffrey retreated to his room to "study" (which interpreted, means "facebook"). Amy began explaining how if Obama wins he will be the "first black man ever in the world" and if McCain wins, there will be the "first lady helper ever ." Amy is very interested in elections--last year a member of our ward was elected sheriff and she was his biggest supporter. Buttons, stickers, the whole nine yards.
Holly was immediately engaged in the debate format. She began arranging her stuffed animals on little barbie chairs as if they were part of the town hall meeting. She even made little signs for them to hold. McCain was cheered on by a charming little plush terrier while the "Rockabama" sign was raised by a pudgy hedgehog wearing a snowsuit. Holly then got out papers and a pen and very seriously began taking notes like she was Tom Brokaw. It seemed as though she was scoring the debate.
Here are some of the classic comments she came up with on her paper:
Rockabama:
seems fair about taxes
3 percent
McCain:
3 percent
McCain:
seems very nice but doesn't look so good
I would like to submit these to the political analysts at CNN!
When I finally managed to pry her away and into bed, she showed me a little slip of paper all folded up. She said that her teacher, Mrs. Prince, had explained that a vote is a personal choice and wouldn't tell them who she was voting for. Holly said she wished she was old enough to vote, but that tonight she wrote who she would vote for on the paper and she was hiding it under her pillow until the election, because, as she reiterated, "it is a very personal matter."
Which indeed, it is. However, if anyone hears of a third presidential candidate popping up somewhere, please let me know.
7 comments:
I am laughing out loud. You have the most wonderful family ever! I'm voting for the Holly/Amy (or Amy/Holly)ticket whenever that occurs. THELINS FOR PRESIDENT!!!
Pity all those poor little children all over the country who were in bed and missed the excitement.
Did anyone else just think it was hilarious how Tom Brokaw (Does he even HAVE upper teeth?)keptchiding and reprimanding the candidates, one of whom is surely to be the next President of the U.S.? How does anyone respond to anything significant in a minute? And then he shooed them away during their handshaking photo-op so he could see his teleprompter?
I think the Thelin girls could have created a much better atmosphere for discussion. If they don't run for president, they could at least be television commentators. And I hope the terrier and hedgehog get some air time.
haha, I love those kids...and I love the individual reactions of all of them. Heidi and Jeff going off and holly and amy getting excited. Amy is quite the little knowledgable one! I love Holly's observations that McCain doesn't look so good. haha.
OH my, this is sooo great. Holly is quite the analyst! And, Amy is more knowledgeable than many people I know. I would have liked to hear some of the questions from the hedgehog...and "Rockabama" is an AWESOME name.
I had the SAME feeling about the debate last night. I would love some straight honest answers...
Oh, my hilarity. I love this commentary. It is every bit as good as the surprisingly hysterical Saturday Night Live spoof of the debates. (It was actually a CLEAN spoof, and it was shown on Thursday night -- illogical, I know).
I think Amy or Holly could make just as legitimate a vote as I can at this point. The future looks bright thanks to two little girls!
Okay, I don't know how to make this a "hyperlink" but you can cut and paste the address into your browser. I'm telling you, this is funny. I CRIED laughing.
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/update-thursday-debate-open/742065/
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/
clips/update-thursday-debate-open/742065/
oops. Okay, try this one.
HA HA HA! Yes, thanks. This was a classic. We forwarded it on to Chris who is trying to keep abreast of the political scene so he can vote in his first presidential election with his little absentee ballot.
What a good laugh. The scary thing is they didn't have to stretch too much!
Post a Comment