Sunday, May 4, 2008

Hit the Deck

This is one of the most glorious months of May in my memory. Dan would call it, "California weather." We've got a darling two-year-old granddaughter nearby who would love to play with water and sand this spring/summer. What do we do with our old, splintery, overgrown, but still very stable deck?
A) Replace it (expensive, time involved, great result), or
B) Do a summer facelift (cheap, quick, good result).
What did we do?
Hint: It's done. Yesterday.


Yeah, we hammered down the loose boards, trimmed back the tree limbs, and covered the deck with inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpet. It was fun cutting and taping the carpet, which is like very short plastic tan grass. I felt like a kid fixing up a backyard playhouse. Our old sandbox turtle was resurrected from his lonely 15 year stint under the deck. A good hosing down, a scrub brush, some new eyes, and voila! He's good as new. A trip to the store for sand, a plastic pool, a "Little Tikes" slide, a box for the toys and buckets, a couple of chairs, and . . . . toddler paradise! Hannah, come on over here with those cute kids! Becca, what in CA could possibly be as good as this! Hop on that airplane, now!
Can you BELIEVE how these trees have grown? The older kids will remember when we planted the tiny little shrubs around a brand new deck (circa 1985). Since Erica was not here today for a picture, a kindly octopus-boy posed for us.

6 comments:

Steven said...

That octopus boy looks very familiar.

becca said...

"Is that for us?" Robert asked while viewing the pictures. It looks like paradise to me! I would LOVE to come for a visit.

Hannah said...

That is quick work! I am way impressed and very excited! Erica is going to be in heaven when she comes. Maybe it will be easier to get her in the carseat this way...

Jill said...

Becca,I'll have to come see you in YOUR paradise. I'm excited for your new back yard and all its new possibilities.

Angela and Mike said...

Wow, it looks great. How fun! Yeah, those splinters were starting to get scary! Those trees are beautiful. I miss that deck, so many fun memories. Your little grandbabies will love it there. I'm jealous.

Dan said...

It's hard to believe that there's carpet on the deck now! Very fancy.