Sunday, January 6, 2008

"8 is great!"



Holly was baptized on Dec. 29! This was a very exciting day! It was especially fun because Chris got to baptize Holly and then Gordon confirmed her. It was also very fun because we had a lot of leftover Christmas spirit, and another wonderful excuse to get the family all together again! Gaby was still visiting with Grandma, and Danny was still here too. In fact, Holly even asked Danny to give a talk! It was so nice of him to do this, in spite of being held hostage in handcuffs by Holly all of Christmas day. Grandma also spoke, and appeared so well and animated that I feared the Bishop would call her back to teaching in Relief Society! Aunt Jill did a great job playing the piano and Hannah directed the music for us. The kids (Danny, Hannah, Steven, and Thelins) sang the traditional "Love is Spoken Here" which has been sung at many of our family events over the years. Sam did a great job taking care of adorable Erica who brings joy to every occasion! Jeffrey and Grandpa gave the prayers. I also lucked out because the Primary president was out of town, so I was the Primary presidency member who got to welcome Holly to senior primary! It turned out to be a fabulous day--Amy and Holly were completely fascinated by the "secret door" leading from the bathroom into the font area. They had never guessed that is where that door went. Holly was very pleased that the water was warm and that she managed to get all of her body parts and accompanying clothing under the water on the first try (we had been to a friend's baptism where it took 3 times due to an errant foot popping up). The day after her baptism, Holly wrote the following account of the special day. She typed it all by herself in blue letters, size 26 font:
Date 2008
it's so great to be baptized. When you get out of the water you feel cleaner then when
you get out of the bathtub...my gama took a talk about baptisms. Danny took a talk on the
holy ghost. My baptism was fun.
Writin by holly elaine thelin
We wish everyone could have been there, but you were all in our hearts! Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

hooray! We are so proud of Holly. What a special day. That is so neat that Chris got to baptize Holly. I wish I could've been there to witness the talks, musical numbers, prayers, and everything else the family was involved in. Holly looks beautiful, as well as the whole family. Congrats!

Dan said...

It was such a fun day! I enjoyed reading Holly's account of her baptism.

Hannah said...

Holly's account of her baptism is wonderful! She described the feeling of being baptized better than anyone I know!

8 is great, and so is Holly! We love you!

Jill said...

How we love you all! What a great account of a beautiful occasion. Holly, we are so proud of you. (You are very good journal writer, too!)

becca said...

I am so glad to hear all about Holly's baptism -- sounds like everyone got to have a special part. Wish wish wish I could have been there! Holly, what a special day! So many people love you and are so proud of the choice you made to get baptized. I am so glad it was a happy day for you! Love you!