It was nice to be in the building where Max and Elaine attended church with their family for so many years (approx. 1976-1986), and where Dan and Jill attended church when their family was young. This building still serves as the stake center for Dan and Jill.
Since Jan attended church here for most of her childhood, it seemed fitting to get a picture of her kids outside the back entrance. (As you know, nobody uses LDS front entrances, haha.) You may notice that Jeffrey and his parents are not pictured here. This is because Jeffrey is at home with a burst eardrum, and two parents looking after him. But that is another story, involving a scooter and a bucket of water. WE MISSED YOU GUYS, and hope that Jeff feels better soon.
Before going home, we took a path down memory lane, also known as Hunter Ridge Drive, and came to the crest of a driveway on Adel Road.
Somewhere beyond those towering pine trees is a beautiful gray-blue house. Can you see it?
If you move over a few feet, you have a clear view of the house, where Max and Elaine and family lived for that happy decade. The trees and shrubs have grown enormous, but the house still looks the same!
We actually walked down the driveway and talked to the current owner, who remembered the Follmers. He is the same man who purchased the home from them twenty-six years ago! He and his wife raised two children here, who went to the same schools that Jan did when she lived here. He was happy to meet some of the children of Jan, the little girl who lived here before they did. Below is a picture of the landscaping, looking up from the front sidewalk just in front of the house.
The new owners built stairs and walkways into the woods, which look as beautiful as ever, even though the trees are still bare before spring has begun.
They also built the deck that Elaine always pictured there! It's nice to know that this good family has enjoyed the house, too!
On the way home, Holly enjoyed taking pictures of the REALLY big mansions on Hunter Mill Road. Now really, isn't this a bit much?
3 comments:
Very cool! I love picturing you in the house so many years ago. And how fun that you got to meet the owners! I bet the homecoming talk was nice...poor Jeffrey!
I wish I could have joined you on this trip! I don't really have any memories of this house because I was too little, so I'm glad you took all these fun pictures for us to enjoy.
Thanks so much for taking all these pictures! Weird...I left a comment, or so I thought, on Sunday afternoon. But now it is gone! Anyway, the kids all had a great time! So cool to see the old house. I love the walkways and deck...things mom always dreamed of doing. So glad that these people have enjoyed the house!
Post a Comment