Friday, July 30, 2010

My New Friend

This story is for Robert and Seth, with whom I had an extended conversation recently about "walking sticks" and "walking leaves," special insects which look like their environment. But I bet that my other grandchildren, and my grand-nephews and nieces might like it, too!

I was happily sewing along, in my special happy yellow sewing room (in fact, I was making PJ's for Peyton!), when suddenly I knew I was not alone. Up near the ceiling, above the window, I saw a large green insect! It looked sort of like a grasshopper, but bigger. When I looked more closely, I saw that its body was shaped like a leaf! I wonder how it got there? I have screens on my windows. If it came in a door, it would have had to climb all the way upstairs! Maybe it crawled in around an air conditioner in Joey's or Steven's room. I will never know. It is a mystery.

The real name of this insect is "katydid," because it likes to sing a song that sounds like "Katy did, Katy didn't" over and over and over in the late summer. It is related to crickets, grasshoppers, and cicadas.

(Here is a picture of it. The white part is the ceiling and the yellow part is the wall.)





At first I thought I would just leave it there to keep me company, because I have always thought that walking leaves were rather pretty and nice. But then I got thinking it might be scared, lonely, thirsty, or hungry, and that I should take it outside. So I got a glass from the kitchen, and a little white 3x5 card. I stood on a stool, and put the glass quickly over the insect. It jumped! But it was caught in the glass. I slid a card under it and carefully carried it downstairs. I looked at it up close for a few minutes. I observed. It was about two and a half inches long. It had little pincers on its face. (Those are called "mandibles" and they are for chewing.) It had long antennae. It had big strong hind legs. I bet it is a good jumper!



I took the glass outside, and thought, "Where would a katydid like to live?" I took it into my backyard and put it on a tall tomato plant. (I was thinking that it would eat other insects, but actually, I just read that it eats leaves! I was wrong! Oh well, there are lots of leaves on my tomato plant.) It hopped from leaf to leaf, and then it fluttered up high, like a butterfly! I was surprised. I had never seen one fly before. It looked bright green in the sky, but I didn't get a picture of it. It was too fast! But I did get some pictures before it flew away.



Look how well the katydid can hide on a plant! It looks like a real leaf. It even has the same kind of lines on it. Can you see it in the picture below?




I wonder if it will come back to live in my garden!

3 comments:

Steven said...

The only time I have ever seen the word katydid before today is in this Calvin and Hobbes strip: http://imgsrv.gocomics.com/dim/?fh=34739922e40e46d591aa9dc858ba433a

Angela and Mike said...

Wow, that totally looks like a leaf is glued to its back! Very cool. You are so brave to catch it and bring it outside and even let it touch your hand! What nice friends you make :)

Hannah said...

If I was a bug (or a bird), I would want to live near your house... :) I wonder what Erica would have thought of this bug??