no one can deny it is BEAUTIFUL!
I LOVE IT!
I'm sure the rest of the world is tired of seeing photos of the DC region's whiteness....but for the benefit of my kids who want to see their old neighborhood in its new identity, here are some glimpses of the ever evolving landscape.
The double whammy of record storms, combined with nature's and man's continual touch-ups, have formed a variety of changing images here in Borneham Woods. Don't know where to start, but how about the view from my open front door?
BELOW are two representations of our neighbor's house across the street, taken a few days apart, from our front porch. Temperatures in the thirties (daytime) and twenties (nighttime) have served to form some truly astounding icicles:
The icicles are a story all their own, so we'll get back to them at the end....
BELOW, let's take a look at good old 2799: first picture is after the first of the storms. Then you can begin to see the effects of the second storm and the plows.
BELOW: I especially like the big pile of plowed snow that is as tall as our stop sign. At one point Dan had shoveled the front sidewalk, but now I think that is out of the question. Don't know how the neighborhood school children will ever get to their bus stop.
BELOW: During the second storm, I took these first two pictures of the deck out of upstairs windows (through the screen, sorry). After that are a couple of shots Dan took later of our ghostly deck creatures. Are there really chairs, sandbox, slide, table, and grill in there somewhere? Is there a promise of spring buried under this wintry blanket?
BELOW: The second storm featured high winds and HORIZONTAL snow. It literally was snowing sideways, thus coating our front porch even though it was covered. I like seeing the fake ficus tree coated with white. Also notice in the second picture, the fire hydrant barely peeking its little head out (pre-plow that is....heaven only knows where it is now).
BELOW: The storm took a toll on the vegetation. See our sagging trees out front, our obscured shrubbery, and our poor lost holly tree (our only total casualty) at the side of the house.
BELOW: Impressive view of the shrubbery around the deck in the back. Also, a view from the dining room window of the neighbor's garden, the fence nearly obscured.
BELOW: Dan has earned his shoveling merit badge. He shoveled out our car and our driveway. (Don't faint: the other car is in the garage. I know. Extreme.) He shoveled a path to the front door, and a path to the mailbox. You can get a good idea of the height of the snow by the mailbox.
BELOW: Just because Dan shoveled the way, doesn't mean our front door is very inviting. The icicles are pretty fearsome.
The weather. Yes, it's all we talk about. We are Virginians!
4 comments:
WOW, those pictures are AMAZING. I can't belive all that snow. I've never seen anything like that. and those icicles (sp wrong I know!) are crazy. I love the frozen water from the water drain.
WOW. Thanks mom. I love picturing all the snow, but now I KNOW what it looks like. I bet you are dad are having a blast.
THose icicles ARE fearsome! I haven't let the kids out on the deck because for a while huge chunks of icy snow would fall down with a huge menacing crash. But we have nothing like those icicles--they are awesome!
As a fellow Virginian, I can relate! These are great pictures! I have a whole camera full of them too, but it will probably be spring before I get them downloaded. Plus you really have better icicles. I am impressed. It has been a truly amazing and spectacular winter!
We finally got to look at these pictures. Impressive! I like the snow pile as high as the stop sign, and the little fire hydrant's hat peeking out. Robert likes the icicles forming at the spout of the gutter. I think it looks like "Bridal Veil Falls" in Utah, where the whole waterfall is ice during the winter.
Post a Comment