Sunday night: Jill makes double batch of Peanut Butter Magic Middle cookies.
Monday night: FHE with the Mautzes, where Dan gives Steven a father's blessing.
Tuesday night: Steven officially becomes Elder Steven Farrell, as he is set apart to the calling of a full time missionary by our Stake President.
Wednesday morning: Elder Farrell boards a plane for Salt Lake City.
Wednesday afternoon: Elder Farrell enters the MTC in Provo.
A few details: Last night, Dan and I accompanied Steven to the Stake Center, where we had a 7 PM meeting with Pres. Wheatley. We had an opening prayer, followed by the opportunity for Dan and me to bear our testimonies and give advice to our son. Then President Wheatley did the same. Then, Steven was set apart by Pres. Wheatley to be a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in the Peru Cusco Mission. Tears rolled down Steven's face as he officially became "Elder Steven Farrell," and then was privileged to bear his first testimony as a missionary. I can honestly say, as a mother, that a mantle of responsibility and privilege came onto my son at that time. Pres. Wheatley said we would have the closing prayer in two years when he comes back to be released. This was an intensely spiritual experience, and I can only say that the world has no idea what marvels the Lord provides for us by the authority of the Priesthood of God.
Near the president's office is a large map of the world, with thumbtacks representing each of the missionaries the Oakton VA Stake has serving. Elder Farrell added a thumbtack to represent himself in Peru:

Here is Elder Farrell and President Wheatley:

Here we are as a family:

Here are Elder Farrell and his father this morning, as they pulled the suitcases into the airport. Yes, it was dark. Yes, this picture might make you cry. But, HEY, look how great those reflectors on Elder Farrell's back pack look! Safety! Now, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Imagine our delight when, at the ticket counter, we ran into a childhood friend, Barrett Johnson, leaving on the same flight to SLC as he begins his mission! (I forgot to ask where, but I believe it is in the states, Spanish speaking.) Our mood was joyful as we bid the two elders goodbye and watched them head off as a pair to their destination! God's in the details! Elder Farrell and Elder Johnson are not traveling alone. Not in any sense of the word.


Suzi and Bruce will pick up Elder Farrell from the airport, take him (and possibly Joey) to lunch, and then say goodbye. Hopefully I'll have a few more pictures later, when Elder Farrell enters the MTC, and gets his nametag!
(And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEY!!!!! We have not forgotten you on this day. We love you dearly, and thank you for bringing us so much joy. We are so proud of you, and excited about your new classes and experiences. Thanks for being such a great brother to Steven, and for meeting him today to say goodbye as he begins his adventure. Quite an unusual birthday for you! Hope you get a little attention, too. Even if it's in parentheses.)
Monday night: FHE with the Mautzes, where Dan gives Steven a father's blessing.
Tuesday night: Steven officially becomes Elder Steven Farrell, as he is set apart to the calling of a full time missionary by our Stake President.
Wednesday morning: Elder Farrell boards a plane for Salt Lake City.
Wednesday afternoon: Elder Farrell enters the MTC in Provo.
A few details: Last night, Dan and I accompanied Steven to the Stake Center, where we had a 7 PM meeting with Pres. Wheatley. We had an opening prayer, followed by the opportunity for Dan and me to bear our testimonies and give advice to our son. Then President Wheatley did the same. Then, Steven was set apart by Pres. Wheatley to be a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in the Peru Cusco Mission. Tears rolled down Steven's face as he officially became "Elder Steven Farrell," and then was privileged to bear his first testimony as a missionary. I can honestly say, as a mother, that a mantle of responsibility and privilege came onto my son at that time. Pres. Wheatley said we would have the closing prayer in two years when he comes back to be released. This was an intensely spiritual experience, and I can only say that the world has no idea what marvels the Lord provides for us by the authority of the Priesthood of God.
Near the president's office is a large map of the world, with thumbtacks representing each of the missionaries the Oakton VA Stake has serving. Elder Farrell added a thumbtack to represent himself in Peru:

Here is Elder Farrell and President Wheatley:

Here we are as a family:

Here are Elder Farrell and his father this morning, as they pulled the suitcases into the airport. Yes, it was dark. Yes, this picture might make you cry. But, HEY, look how great those reflectors on Elder Farrell's back pack look! Safety! Now, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Imagine our delight when, at the ticket counter, we ran into a childhood friend, Barrett Johnson, leaving on the same flight to SLC as he begins his mission! (I forgot to ask where, but I believe it is in the states, Spanish speaking.) Our mood was joyful as we bid the two elders goodbye and watched them head off as a pair to their destination! God's in the details! Elder Farrell and Elder Johnson are not traveling alone. Not in any sense of the word.


Suzi and Bruce will pick up Elder Farrell from the airport, take him (and possibly Joey) to lunch, and then say goodbye. Hopefully I'll have a few more pictures later, when Elder Farrell enters the MTC, and gets his nametag!
(And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEY!!!!! We have not forgotten you on this day. We love you dearly, and thank you for bringing us so much joy. We are so proud of you, and excited about your new classes and experiences. Thanks for being such a great brother to Steven, and for meeting him today to say goodbye as he begins his adventure. Quite an unusual birthday for you! Hope you get a little attention, too. Even if it's in parentheses.)
4 comments:
Great pictures! I hope you are holding up okay...I keep finding myself going "why do I feel a little funny today...OH YEAH, Steven is going on his mission!" Crazy. He looks awesome and I'm so excited for him. 2 hours till he enters the MTC. Do we know his MTC mailbox #?
The MTC mailbox number is #90. I called the MTC this morning to find out. The date of departure is 9-22-10.
And guess who he ended up sitting next to on the plane.....Sister Axelgard! Fred and Robyn were flying out to SLC to attend Elder Hood's wedding!!! Steven called to say he met up with Suzi and Bruce and would be going to lunch with them and Joey.
AWESOME DAY! What a great time for the Farrell family, one amazing event after another! So fun that Steven wasn't alone on the plane. Those crazy Mormons are everywhere. He must have felt like singing, "It's a Small World After All!" (although it's possible the world will seem bigger in a few weeks when he actually leaves the United States.)
The Axelgards were flying to SLC to Elder Hoods wedding? How hysterical! I'd love to see some pictures of that wedding...
l love all these stories. I'm so glad Steven has such a safe backpack. He is going to be an incredible missionary and I can't wait to hear his stories!
Post a Comment