Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I Spy....Christmas!



What's more fun than decorating for Christmas?

Some people have very fancy things, all glittering silver and gold. Ours are a bit on the homey, old-fashioned side. Simple and kid friendly for the most part, though a few precious things are up out of reach.

We are to a stage in life when not everyone comes home for Christmas.....Some of our children have other homes and families in which they will be celebrating this year. We are happy for them, but we'll miss them, too. So here's a little sampling of Christmas at our house, for those who'll be elsewhere....and as an enticement to those who ARE coming! (Maybe these pictures will help you get through finals week....)

Time to play "I Spy!"
(remember, you can click on a picture to make it larger)

Can you find these old favorites?
The wooden carolers I made years ago in Relief Society, the ceramic nativity set given us by Gaby, the rope adorned Santa face made by Becca in Young Women's, the wooden snowmen (one I made, one Linda Tolman made, and one made by Steven or Joey in scouts. I can't remember which boy because they both made them but one of them gave his to Becca), the triple stacked boxes from Kirsten ("sugar, spice, and everything nice"), the Santa cookie jar given us by the Rihanis. How about the clear acrylic simple nativity Dan and I got our first Christmas? The bronze camels Dan brought home from a trip to the Middle East? The cardboard Christmas card holder. The mantel--oh, everything on the mantel.

Can you spy these newer favorites?
The clay pot nativity made by Jan and girls a few Christmases ago, and the beautiful new plaque Heidi made last Christmas, which states, "For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given." The "MERRY CHRISTMAS" holiday blocks from Carl and Robin. And then there's the Peanuts gang. Christmas certainly accommodates a broad range of decor.

Challenge: can you find a little bitty Amish nativity Dan and I bought in Pennsylvania? A small Peanuts nativity? A tiny conductor leading a trio? How many stuffed animals do you see?

Here's a new one: reluctantly, I retired the red cloth wreath (it just looked dreary) and made a new one for our front door. I kept on it the Santa and Mrs. Claus so it would be reminiscent of the old one. I think I might wash and redo the old one to use inside somewhere (too sentimental to give it up).

Here's a little tour of our main level, entering at the front door, and moving through the living room, dining room, kitchen, family room, and hallway, and back to the front door inside. Have fun playing "I Spy," and know that each little item reminds me of all the happy times we've had together over many Christmases.
























Ho, ho, ho! Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

I absolutely loved the I Spy. It's so funny how EACH one of those decorations come with a little memory for me. I love all of them. The mantel decorations are obviously my favorite, but I remember how exciting it was to individually unwrap each nativity piece. I was always excited to see who would unwrap the baby Jesus. And the clear nativity set I always thought was soooo beautiful and verrrrryy fragile. haha.

Thanks mom. I'll miss being home for Christmas. You always made christmas so magical. Love you!

Robin said...

Wow Jill! First I am completely struck by how perfectly clean your house is (with 2 little ones, we just dream of a house that clean). But all of the decorations. They are beautiful!

Merry Christmas!

Jill said...

Robin, I had two little ones visiting today, and trust me, the house looks sincerely "lived in"!

Joseph said...

I can't wait to just collapse on that couch and stare at the Christmas tree. I love that couch. And I love looking at Christmas trees ... soooo, yeah. Looks great Mom! Perfect.

janner said...

Amazing!!! Our Christmas decor is about 50% still in the buckets and 50% all over the floor. I managed to haul everything in from the garage today, but didn't have the energy to deal with it. The kids had the energy, but lacked the knowledge of where it all goes, thus the floor. When I close my eyes though, now I can envision your house all decorated and that will make me feel happy. I loved the I SPY game! So cute. We sure loved all the Christmas eves at your house. Heidi will not ever get over making the adjustment to Grandma's house! TRADITION! TRADITION!

becca said...

Robert and Seth and I loved looking at all the pictures! I could tell the kids a story about each decoration. The boys were awesome at I Spy. On the picture of the snowmen in the bathroom, Seth spied something black. Was it the bird on the snowman's shoe? "No, that's a skunk" answered Robert.
For your house, that's probably more accurate!
For the record, you have Steven's handmade snowman, because I have (and love) Joey's snowman. He needs a new wooden nose, but he's in good shape!

Hannah said...

I love I spy, but I love it even MORE in person. Did you mention the christmas tree salt and pepper shakers???

Ahh the memories...the house looks beautiful and so very fun. Can't wait for the festivities to begin.